London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
13/07/2014 at 18:22

Victoria.........it's tempting but don't be rash   (tho I think your "want" was tongue in cheek......... natural reaction to Dove's pic).......not everyone stays in the pond all year round......they need the surrounding habitat too  Big ponds, little ponds.......all helps

13/07/2014 at 18:27

I'm not going to extend it no, Philippa Unless the chickens fancy a pond...

I'll keep a bucket of frogs on standby though in case any of you need replenishment

13/07/2014 at 18:29

Victoria S, if you've got a pond, even a small one, what you need as well are neglected areas where amphibians and reptiles can lurk safely. You don't need a large pond.

My great crested newts are making life difficult again by lurking under seed trays. If I pick up a seed tray, they're there. So I can't put it down again in case I squash them. But I like my nature reserve, wouldn't have it any other way

13/07/2014 at 18:36

Yes, that was my project for this year- to increase the habitat around the pond and make a safe 'walkway'... I've put a few rocks around as well. It's only a young pond, about 18 months

13/07/2014 at 18:41

and you can only attract what's around. If there are no grass snakes for miles they won't come. But you'll get plenty of species as your habitat develops, they all turn up eventually

13/07/2014 at 18:50

Now I'm hankering after slow worms ............. 

All  new sightings are being recorded here http://www.narrs.org.uk/how.php 

13/07/2014 at 18:58

Chickens............give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile   Mine have a good 1/4 of the garden........lots of plants, trees, etc, plenty of dust baths and they still hang around the the gate every pm........what they are after is being let out to hoover up the dropped seed and fat ball bits from the feeders.  They say " we just want to peck the lawn grass " but strangely enough that lasts about 5 seconds and then straight to the feeder patch

13/07/2014 at 19:13

Little beggers!

Mine jump up and karate kick the patio door when they want something

KEF
13/07/2014 at 19:26

Great photos Dove

email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages