London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
19/12/2013 at 13:34

I'm wanting to create a border next year with plants solely beneficial to bees or butterflies.  I'm having no problem finding flowering plants, but I'm wanting to use grasses too.  Which grasses are a food source for bees/butterflies?

19/12/2013 at 13:39

Grasses are wind pollinated so they don't have nectar and are only occasionally a food source for insect larvae. Just grow them because they look good!

19/12/2013 at 14:28

I've watched bumblebees collecting pollen from Timothy and Crested Dog's Tail. They do did quite methodically and deliberately. They're both very nice grasses too. You could try Sweet vernal grass too. It's a very early grass and smells incredible and you can use it to flavour vodka.

19/12/2013 at 15:08

Agree with land girl 

Is your bed in the sun? Some stipa tenuissima and deschampsia cespitosa in drifts can look stunning.

In the shade, ophiopogon nigrescens (black grass) coupled with Japanese rye grass hakkonechloa, looks fab.

Enjoy and 

19/12/2013 at 18:27

Though grasses don't provide nectar they have masses of pollen as anyone with hay fever will tell you.  Though butterflies won't eat pollen many species depend on grasses as a food plant for their larvae and bees most certainly do harvest pollen and I have observed bees doing so on the grasses I mentioned above. It was more than obvious that is exactly what they were doing, as I said they were quite methodical about their behaviour. Pollen provides protein, carbohydrates lipids, sugar etc. There is absolutely no reason to assume that the ready supply of pollen in a grass flower head is of any less of nutritional value to a bee than from a dicotyledonous flower. 

Hole reported in 1911 bees collecting pollen from grasses in India. Burtt Davey in 1914 mentions bees collecting pollen from maze in Kenya. In 1933 Richards and Davies describe pollination by Melipona bees of Pariana grass. 

Grasses and the Butterflies that feed on them:

Blue Moon Grass (Sesleria caerulea)  food plant for Scotch Argus

Creeping Soft Grass (Holcus mollis) -  Essex Skipper & Small Skipper

Downy Oat Grass (Helictotrichon pubescens) - Meadow Brown

Early Hair Grass (Aira praecox) - Grayling

Various grasses  -  Arran Brown

One of the best is Yorkshire Fog Holcus which supports 

Marbled White
Small Skipper
Speckled Wood &
Wall

Yorkshire fog is a very nice wild grass, it has pinky mauve flowers and very tactile too. Please see:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/foodplants.php

Sweet vernal-grass - Anthoxanthum odoratum may be one of the food plants for the larvae of butterflies in the brown and skipper families

http://www.joyofplants.com/wildlife/search.php?o=1052

19/12/2013 at 19:00

I have a Phormium called Yellow Wave (not grass but grass-ish) which eventually sprouted a tall flower spike this year. It was absolutely dripping nectar and attracted all manner of things including wasps unfortunately!

I am also trying to attract more bees and butterflies. I particularly wanted to attract the hummingbird hawk moth. I planted some miniature buddlia earlier this year and have never seen so many butterflies in my garden!

19/12/2013 at 19:07

I grow several grasses...bow to Jim's knowledge there about the wildlife they attract.  However plants like agastaches attracted bees in huge numbers last year in my garden as well as butterflies and they complement grasses so well.

19/12/2013 at 19:32

I accept what Jim says, but grass pollen won't be a primary source of food for bees as compared with flower pollen it has low nutritional value for the bee larvae. I personally wouldn't want the grasses mentioned growing in my garden borders as many are invasive, although I'm happy to let them grow in the wild part of my garden.

19/12/2013 at 19:58

How about the angels fishing rod, grasses but with flowers - comes in lots of different colours

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/dierama-pulcherrimum/classid.2694/

19/12/2013 at 20:10

I grow Guinevere a beautiful white angels fishing rod.....not aware that it attracts any wildlife though

19/12/2013 at 21:50

Dierama or angels fishing rods have strappy leaves but they are not grasses.

19/12/2013 at 21:57

Nor is ophiopogon

19/12/2013 at 22:51

Yes, but they LOOK like grasses.  I still plant them for their "grasslike" form.  As I do for carex, Phormium, liriope.    But I agree we have all digressed from the original question

19/12/2013 at 23:28
Verdun wrote (see)

Yes, but they LOOK like grasses.  I still plant them for their "grasslike" form.  As I do for carex, Phormium, liriope.    But I agree we have all digressed from the original question

Don't we always digress Verdun

19/12/2013 at 23:47

Oh yes nut. That's why it's such fun here 

19/12/2013 at 23:55

It doesn't do to take things too seriously 

20/12/2013 at 10:10

you 2!

20/12/2013 at 11:23

Jess is in the Garden suggested deschampsia cespitosa, it is a good native grass.

20/12/2013 at 13:43

And I love this grass ........flowers all summer long. 

20/12/2013 at 14:23

I grew loads of this grass then had a bit of a moment and had a vision of my meadow being taken over by tussocky grass and got rid of it. I really don't know what I was thinking, I'd gone to so much trouble getting the seed too. Now I'll have to start again, and if my meadow does get tussocky then I'll just learn to love it.

1 to 20 of 28 messages