Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

David Matthews2

I know it's been very mild until recently, but surely this fellow is in a 'hurry' to get late benefit from the nectaries on the clematis blooms?

Dovefromabove

Lovely pics - fabulous when you zoom in on them 

BobTheGardener

That'll probably be a queen building up her reserves before hibernating.  Excellent photos!

David Matthews2

Thanks for your kind comments, Dove and Bob! My wife and I have (independenty) seen this particular bee several times over the last few weeks - she's generally paying special attention to the (still) flowering begonias and adjacent fuchsias - but ignoring pelargoniums and hebe [just coming into flower]. More news anon.

Secret Squirrel

Hi David

If you have December copy of GW, go to page 94. Brilliant article on Bumblebees

Advertisement

funny enough had one few days back on mahonia  

That Bee really does seem to be arriving close to the cold weather. Good photograph.

I should soon be getting a kit from The Bee Cause (Friends Of The Earth) that will come with a Bee identification guide so should be good for spring when the Bees return.

iften see them in February  looking for nests too so dont sleep long  

David Matthews2

Thanks for your kind comment, WildlifeG123. I've yet to 'delve' into my December GW as I've been gardening (thinning shrubberies & pruning roses, reglazing greenhouse etc) up in the Midlands for a week or so - will definitely look out for the Bumblebees article, cheers, Mark 1963!

I have a clematis Freckles by my kitchen window wich is visited by a large bumble all winter .We saw a bumblebee in all weathers last winter too. the clematis flowers from november to march each year.

KEF

I still have occasional bees on the Fatsia flowers / berries along with a lot of "house" flies.