Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Odd Bod Bird

Anyone got any ideas about what has happened to this chaffinch, top left in the picture?   All the feathers on his back and thighs seem to have doubled in length, he looks like he is wearing petticoats!   At first we thought maybe he had been attacked by a sparrowhawk or something, but his feathers have all stayed like that for two months now. He seems quite healthy otherwise, hangs around with all the other chaffinches, and comes  regularly for food.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

How odd!  It looks as if he's started to moult but it's not completed properly - if I were you I'd get in touch with your local Wildlife Trust http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/your-local-trust and send them your picture.

Keep us informed image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Thanks, Dove, will do that.  

There are cage-birds and poultry that have frizzled feathers - with them it's obviously a mutation which has been bred for, so presumably it can happen in the wild - it will be interesting to see if he has offspring that carry the same mutation.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Poor birdy look like he's been dragged backwards through a hedge.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

My guess is also that it's a genetic mutation.  Perhaps his oil glands aren't working - a bit like one of us having a dry skin condition.  What's left of my hair looks like that after being washed! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I read /heard somewhere that birds looking after babies stop looking after themsleves.

Devon.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

In Winter birds fluff up thir plumage to keep warm, as per the bird in the photo. I did a Google, and apparently a bird that is unwell may do likewise, so your bird is either feeling the cold, or poorly. Of course it could also be a mutation. I've seen birds fluffed up, but I am no expert and can not say which is the correct answer. 

That is much more than 'fluffed up feathers' .  I'm pretty certain it's a mutation.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Yes, I'm sure it's a genetic mutation. Mustn't' be doing him any harm otherwise he wouldn't be around to take a photo of. Time will tell if the females are put off but the mutation is likely to be recessive so the chicks would look 'normal'. 

He's obviously survived the winter like that so it can't be too much of a problem for him - from what I can see the wing feathers appear normal.