London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
8 messages
20/09/2013 at 09:26

This morning I found that the net covering my pond had been disturbed and was touching the water. The net at the side of the pond had been pulled away and had left a hole, oxygenating  plants were left on the lawn. Fish have gone down or are hiding under the lily pads. Could this have been a fox? What would it be looking for and how can I deter it from my garden. Sensors do not seem to be of any use.

20/09/2013 at 09:45

I suspect an otter or possibly mink, althought I believe they're about more during daylight hours - I might be wrong.

20/09/2013 at 09:49
try fastening the net down FIRMLY with tent pegs (pound shop cheap ) if they get pulled up then maybe a humanoid ,as fish are stolen more often than people realise
good luck Foxy
20/09/2013 at 10:28

Hate to suggest it, but might be a cat   My girl cat is a senile 20 year old who no longer goes out but once, back in her glory days, she came home - soaking wet - proudly carrying a Koi that was almost as large as her.  I worked out it was at least £200 worth of fish and she must have brought it back from a long distance away because I was in such terror that the fish owner would lie in wait for her to take revenge that I was willing to pay compensation instead but although I tried numerous houses in the street, not one person had a pond with Koi.

20/09/2013 at 14:03

We had all our fish nicked at last house- definitely human. There were 2 huge koi and 4 big Golden Orfe in the main pond and three little koi in the smaller netted pond. They put the net back so we didn't realise at first and they were very skittish. We initially though fox as we had a little family of them in the bit on other side of driveway and we had a beached area at that end where the fish often swam.  We discovered the biggest koi dead and partially hidden in at the edge where the spring came into the pond. We presumed it had been dropped. After a few weeks and no sign of any fish we knew they'd all gone.

20/09/2013 at 16:58

cat,fox ,or badger.

24/09/2013 at 22:54

agreed...

04/10/2013 at 00:19

I lost all my fish... the stealthy heron..

email image
8 messages