London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
15 messages
24/03/2014 at 21:11

Hi,I am trying to convince my wife about building a raised pond. Which the kids can enjoy and any local wildlife. I will build a ramp up for frogs too.

I am feeling giddy as my kids won some goldfish at a fair,so I am thinking about the next step.

Hopefully not the naughty one!

Any advice please.

24/03/2014 at 21:21

You can build the pond very easily. The trick with kids and keeping them out is to nail a good grade chicken wire to the top of it with staples, all from your local builders merchant. You leave a fist shaped hole at the top of the ramp which allows frogs in and out. The chicken wire allows access to all the insects which will visit the pond.

It's secure and very effective.

25/03/2014 at 00:03

If the pond is covered with wire, how can the children enjoy it?

Children drown if they can't get out of a pond.  I think all four of my children have had a ducking in various ponds over the years.

Eternal vigilance is the only thing.  Or give up the pond idea until they are old enough to be safe..

Edd
25/03/2014 at 00:16

Dig a shallower pond until the kids understand the dangers. Its not rocket salad, you would never leave one in the bath alone (again) until they were capable, would you? 

25/03/2014 at 09:54

It's takes one inch of water to drown in welshonion. It's better to be safe than sorry.

25/03/2014 at 10:40

Oh dear...............  I wonder just how I've managed to survive all these years?  Even more - how I survived childhood days spent fishing for "tiddlers" in the local ponds and streams, managing to get home safely after hours spent riding a bike or my pony (without a hard hat!) and so on...........    I really think people have got to give children some sort of opportunities to do things which aren't totally without risk of any sort.  At this rate, we'll soon be advised to keep them confined to a cot or playpen until they reach their teens - and then what would happen..!  By all means don't make a pond which would have a very deep part which might be unnecessarily dangerous - but most of all, teach them to know and understand what rules you have as a family and let them take a few chances about getting wet!

25/03/2014 at 11:40

It is for practical reasons too. I don't have an enormous garden,so I wouldn't want skipping kids and football's,as well as my schnauzer to end up in there. They could play near it safely. Or against it! Kids don't always listen as well.

25/03/2014 at 15:42

Goldfish don't work very well in a 'wildlife pond' they tend to eat the wildlife

25/03/2014 at 16:18

I think they will stay indoors. I want to see frogspawn,dragonflies,,water boatmen and anything else that wants to live in it.

I want to relive my childhood with looking at frogspawn and froglets and watching swimming larvae go about their business.

25/03/2014 at 16:22

Pond safety all depends on the ages of the children - a toddler can drown in an inch of water - a 5 year old can have a fantastic time with a pond and a jam jar if properly supervised.

I grew up on a farm with ponds and a moat around the house - we weren't allowed anywhere near them when we were little - then bit by bit we were allowed to learn by making our own risk assessments, knowing that there was always an adult nearby.  

25/03/2014 at 17:03

Quite so, Dove. But you've got to have an eye on other people's children too. Common sense should do the trick and everyone will have a great experience.

Edd
25/03/2014 at 17:06

Unfortunately keeping a eye on other people's children can get you into trouble. How things have changed.

25/03/2014 at 17:13

I had a raised pond in a previous garden and  I made it when my children were young. It was about 2' high at the end nearest the house and ran into a sloping border which formed the beach for birds and wildlife to get in and out. The girls were educated about it and had a wonderful time watching all the snails, pondskaters, tadpoles and birds using it. We had a timber edge round it so it formed a seat. I never had a problem but it depends entirely  on how you teach children and, of course, how you supervise them.

I don't have any photos unfortunately as it was pre digital camera! 

25/03/2014 at 17:23

Goldfish will definitely eat the frogspawn, given a chance.  Herons will eat  frogs, too, but the wire netting might help to stop them.

25/03/2014 at 18:06

Wow fairygirl,wish I could see that.

My wife just said that we shouldn't have to supervise them in the garden,so I will take your design on-board when I do it when my 3 year old is in school.

But you are right edd,you know your own children but other people's kids might be totally different. I mean,how many children do you know that call you stinkypump!? But I am sure mine aren't the only ones singing songs from the film frozen.

email image
15 messages