London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
17 messages
22/06/2014 at 12:24

Hi peeps, 

Back at end of April beginning of May i had Robins nesting in my shed and successfully fledging, now i have another nest of Robins in some plant pots about to fledge, i know these are territorial birds and the two nest sites are only 30 feet apart, the question is can it be the same pair raising another brood? you are talking around 50 days between fledging's,

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50239.jpg?width=216&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50240.jpg?width=216&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50241.jpg?width=216&height=350&mode=max

and if so why didn't they use the same nest?

22/06/2014 at 12:33

Very often the nest material gets full of mites, so they may have decided to build a new nest.

Yes, it probably is the same pair.

22/06/2014 at 12:44

Cheers Welshonion 

Can i remove the nest from my shed now then? I left it there in-case they wanted to use it again...

23/06/2014 at 00:54

Yes.

23/06/2014 at 01:38

You are so lucky to have these.  What great photos.  Will you keep posting as they mature?  Would be really good to see their progress. Or do they just fly off and disappear fairly soon after this stage?

23/06/2014 at 09:47

Nice to hear about the new ones Percy............and you have your shed back now

23/06/2014 at 09:55

Oh wow! We've Robins nesting in the trees somewhere behind us - they were feeding their fledgings (their second brood) on Saturday just a metre away from us completely ignoring that we were there! It was a beautiful sight although I'm half convinced they were teaching the fledgings the art of "looking cute" and "standing by the feeder until the one with long hair goes and gets the good food out".

23/06/2014 at 16:20

Sorry Yarrow the day after the pictures were taken the Robins fledged, one of them gave us a right laugh as it tried to balance on the trellis (unsuccessfully)...

Aye Philippa we have our shed back, and now we have our clutter area back, we actually moved the pots with the nest in it inadvertently, when we seen the nest with eggs in, we replaced it as close to the spot we thought it came from and left the area alone, the nest was really low down easy for cats or foxes to get at but all went well..

Clarington they are very cute and not at all skittish, they come very close give you that look and you feel compelled to feed them, i'm pretty sure they are using psychology on us stupid humans 

23/06/2014 at 16:25

That's wonderful Percy.  I wonder how long they will stay around their newly trained humans

23/06/2014 at 16:29

Percy........your Robins have definitely got you marked down as a pushover......I bet they have your shed against next year

It's a nice feeling tho isn't it when you have your own "personal" birds.  As well as Blackbird, Robin, Tit and Finch babies, I am waiting for my GS Woodpecker youngsters to turn up again and learn to use the bath and feeders.  Shouldn't be long now

23/06/2014 at 16:32

At my last house, we had a young one which visited every day to get whatever fell out the feeder. He had his own little route to get there, and he liked to perch on a bit of clematis till the right moment! 

He also like to bathe in the water on the lid of a bucket of F,B and B, even though there was a large pond about twenty feet from the feeder...

23/06/2014 at 17:01

Lesley the only sad part is we have an area of bushes, trees and scrub next to garden and they seem to prefer taking shelter over there rather than in the garden, the main thing is they are fine...

Philippa it's a privilege that the birds choose to nest in your garden, it feels like there's a respect and understanding between you and the bird, as they and you go about your daily business aware of each other but at same time giving each other there space, i might be talking nonsense and an old romantic but that's how it feels..

23/06/2014 at 17:05

It's lovely Percy 

you old romantic.....

23/06/2014 at 17:21

Percy........no way are you talking nonsense .......what's a garden without the wildlife after all ?  Pretty sterile

I know I tease you about your Shed but I'd do exactly the same and most people on here would too I'm sure. I can rarely walk up the garden to the Chickens without having to stop and chat/encourage/apologise to the various birds which I come across.

If there should ever be a "Bird Gardener of the Year", you can certainly count on my vote

23/06/2014 at 17:56

Ha Ha i know what your saying Philippa, i have seen me stopping in my tracks waiting on the birds finishing there bath before continuing up the garden so as not to interrupt them, there is nothing i like better than sitting on the decking next to the waterfall and pond and watching them having a bath in a wee pool, or stopping off for a drink, if i disturb them i too always apologise, glad i'm not the only silly burger on here...

23/06/2014 at 18:32

And don't they take their time over the bath...........big birds in the bath, little birds on the edges to catch just a shower........and you and I are standing there like the proverbial til they're finished...........Silly Buggers Unite I say 

23/06/2014 at 20:01

Nice sentiments Percy.

Had robins nesting in my garage.....2 pairs.  One moment there were  eggs in the nests next thing a row of young robins perched on the garage beams ......luverly 

email image
17 messages