London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
05/06/2013 at 23:35

I have a little colony of these in the front garden in very sandy soil behind a retaining wall. They have now appeared in the back lawn as well. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24877.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Playing peek a boo with the camera.

05/06/2013 at 23:38

Nice fb. I've never managed to get a pic of one in residence.

06/06/2013 at 09:42

Looks like a bumblebee ? Very nice anyway.

06/06/2013 at 11:27

How wonderful, congratulations, and thank you for the picture.  We have one that has lived under a rock in our once upon a time alpine bed for several years - or if not the same one, each year there is one - no idea how long they live.  Never been able to take a picture though, that's great. 

06/06/2013 at 13:46

This is the only time we have got a picture. The first time I noticed them I thought someone was jabbing the front garden with a pencil. Very round exit holes.

Then when forking out weeds I put the fork through a few and suddenly I had bees everywhere.  Ther are not bumble bees.  Red and furry . Not around for long, 6 weeks at most.

This year I thought I had a wierd hoverfly. It turns out to be a beefly which predates on the solitary bees, laying its egg in the bees nest, so the beefly larvae eat the bees larvae.

06/06/2013 at 16:09

Yes, heard about this on springwatch this week - nature certainly has its ways huh?

Glorious weather for gardens again, off out there now. 

08/06/2013 at 20:19

I'm not sure but I think the pic's of a ground nesting solitary bee, They make little 'volcanoes'  when they burrow down. Think they like a light,sandy soil.

We have solitary bee houses on our sunny wall and once again, nearly every tube has been used and sealed. The bees underbellies are covered in bright yellow pollen on their return to the box which I think comes from a field of buttercups nearby.The boxes are right by the back door so every time I have a cuppa I put my glasses on and spend ages just watching them. Think We have Red and Blue Mason bees but also some that seem to be able to make perfectly round holes in the brickwork.( Only a few, so not a prob).

09/06/2013 at 19:07

fidgetbones, Ive been trying to esablish if the bees ive seen in my garden are nesting or not. I hope you are able to enjoy your bees.

email image
8 messages