London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
15/04/2013 at 21:24

can anyone help

I would like to encourage frogs and toads into my pond. I have had a pond for about 2 years but never seen a frog or toad anywhere near the pond. The pond is a preformed fibreglass one with very smooth sides so i can only assume that frogs cannot get in or most importantly get out so my question is can i put a tree branch or a large log in the pond to help them in and out of the water or will it rot and contaminate the water?

15/04/2013 at 21:42

I am assuming that your pond is not raised and flush with the ground.

You will have to create a 'beach' at one end of your pond for easy entry and exit and a shallow area for spawning. You could do this by layering old paving slabs or bricks in a step formation to create a variety of depth at one end. You could finish the effect of either by using natural stones, cobbles and some marginal plants to soften the whole area and make it more interesting. 

Birds will then be able to use your pond for bathing and drinking too.

Depending on how formal your pond is you could chop up the  branch to the side of the pond for something for creatures to hide under.

Hope this helps.

15/04/2013 at 21:48

thanks for your suggestion and i mite try to do something in the next few weeks.

15/04/2013 at 21:50

Frogs go back to where they were spawned to do their own spawning. importing some frogspawn would start you off.

email image
4 messages