Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 26 replies

Whilst filling up our office bird feeder yesterday, 2 small birds appeared with white caps on their heads. About the size of grey tits, their bodies were silver grey and white and very slim. I have looked through the RSPB website lists of UK birds and cannot find a match. Just wondered if anyone has an idea what they are?

Hi Pansy unfortunately not, they were smaller and more finch like with a white blaze/cap across their heads, just wished I had my phone with me at the time....

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Snow Buntings aren't as small as tits or finches.

Where do you live StillLearning?

Dove, not a wagtail but as dainty where their feathers are black the birds I saw were white and slate grey.

Fairygirl

Unless my geography's much worse than I think - I doubt you'd see them in Oxfordshire. They're only winter visitors in most of Britain (only resident in the north east of Scotland where they're common on our hills) and in the south, really just the eastern side. 

Could they be finches of some kind which have escaped from a private aviary?

Right size but wrong colours, lovely looking chap though

Marsh tit, Willow tit or Coal tit? Coal tit favourite, has a white blaze on a black cap and is silvery grey with a pinkish buff breast, Blue tit sized.

punkdoc

Certainly won't be Snow Buntings. Only seen in the mountains, and winter visitors.

Lovely birds, saw a lot in the Arctic.

Advertisement

pansyface

I admit that snow buntings are unlikely, but a friend who went to live in Shetland for a while, saw a Hoopoe in her garden one day. A Woodcock sat on my front door step when I lived in central Edinburgh and the Pallas's warbler was spotted in Somerset, I think, this week, Even here we had a Crossbill in the garden last winter and we are miles from any decent conifers. Maybe it was on a diet.

Spent ages watching a Hoopoe in Minorca, only to come back to UK and saw one on the common in Hampshire Pansyface. They get around 

Fairygirl

Coal tits have a black head with only  a white stripe though - OP reports a white cap 

The buntings are lovely aren't they doc?  I've seen quite a lot of them.

pansyface

My favourite little bird in the garden. 

punkdoc

A real beauty pansy, especially when there is a large "gang" of them, all flitting around, and chattering.