London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
24/03/2013 at 09:35

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/760/dsc02741edited.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There must have been 10 of them arrive and 6 chaffinch then they were all scared off by a load of pidgeons except this 1.

24/03/2013 at 09:46
They're such lovely little birds, shame we don't get them down here in Brighton, all we get is Seagulls!
24/03/2013 at 10:29

Same here, Ryan. Seagulls and magpies drive off smaller birds. Our dogs object to birds using the air space, which doesn't help, either.

24/03/2013 at 10:32

We've just had a Peregrine swoop down and take a woodpigeon from our garden 

Literally just 10 minutes ago!!!

24/03/2013 at 11:55

Sure it wasn't a Sparrowhawk?

24/03/2013 at 12:45

We've got a pair of peregrines nesting on the cathedral about 2 miles away http://www.edp24.co.uk/home/webcam/falcon-cam  , and we saw one take a pigeon from our own roof last year - we do have sparrowhawks here too, and they take and eat starlings from around here, but these are very hefty (well fed) wood pigeons - I doubt if a sparrowhawk could take off from our garden with one in it's talons and there's no carcass here!

24/03/2013 at 12:50

The birds are eating me out of house and home in this cold weather.  We have had no snow, but the wind is bitter.  As I type there are about 7 goldfinches, 2 siskins, 2 chaffinches with bluetits, great tits and coal tits rushing back and forth to stoke up, and couple of blackbirds and thrushes on the ground.  Last week we had a Redpoll visit the garden - and I see in today's paper that it is thought they will become as common as goldfinches, since they, too, love the nyger seed.

Oh - they've all flown off.  Could have something to do with a prowling cat!   

24/03/2013 at 15:32

I had goldfinches,great tits,blue tits,wren ,robin and the returning blackbirds all rummaging around the garden for nest material until the bigger birds came down,good to keep them on their toes.

25/03/2013 at 14:07

Watch out Dove, when the peregrines have got a taste for pigeons they may come after you. Sorry about the slightly sceptical suggestion - I frequently hear about very unlikely bird sightings from people who are inclined to believe in the unusual rather than the obvious. So, no intention to doubt your skills

25/03/2013 at 15:48

I saw pergine in Scotland one year a very remote spot ,he had those talons (yellow) and that beak,it was horrible to watch him take a blackbird and fly off to spot to eat him alive,I didt forget that,but it was his lunch.

25/03/2013 at 22:11

i Had Siskins for the first time this winter...apparently they can't find enough food in the conifer forests they usually haunt..down to last year's bad summer.

25/03/2013 at 22:50

I had a siskin today in the garden. Had to get the bird book out as hadn't seen one before. Based on what I read was surprised there was only one.

can't wait to see more

25/03/2013 at 23:51

You guys are so lucky! I've tried everything to entice birds into my garden, but there just aren't any around. Thought as I back onto the South Downs that my garden would be flooding with them, but no, nothing

26/03/2013 at 06:27
Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Watch out Dove, when the peregrines have got a taste for pigeons they may come after you. Sorry about the slightly sceptical suggestion - I frequently hear about very unlikely bird sightings from people who are inclined to believe in unusual rather than the obvious. So, no intention to doubt your skills

No prob Joe  This dove is even more well-fed than the woodpigeons, so the peregrines will have problems if they try to carry me off  

Don't know why I can't get this in the right place - it keeps going in the quote box - all part of the blips on the board at the moment I suppose.

26/03/2013 at 10:03

I have had Lesser Redpolls on my feeders for the first time ever this winter.However, the Coal Tits and Great Spotted Woodpeckers seem to have deserted me. Several weeks ago, something - a sparrowhawk, I presume, grabbed a bird off the feeder before my very eyes with such speed I couldn't believe or id. it.

26/03/2013 at 15:03

The siskin has returned today. A vivid blob of yellow on a miserable day.

Tried to take a photo but my camera isn't good enough - I keep telling my OH this

10/04/2013 at 23:01

The redpoll has returned with Mrs Redpoll, and the other little birds are still eating at such a rate that I have to keep filling up the feeders each day.  But they are a delight to watch - I just wish sthe marauding jackdaws and rooks would stay away!

I dug over the veg patch today and was chased by three robins who wanted me to work faster to unearth more worms etc!!!  I thought they were very terratorial, and wouldn't tolerate others in "their"patch, but it seems I was wrong.  It was lovely to be out in the fresh air, though, and the sound of all the birdsong was a real sign of spring at last. 

10/04/2013 at 23:17
I only started feeding the birds about August last year and until the last two days been pretty common visitors: bullfinch, chaffinches, sparrows, blackbirds, robins and a variety of tits. I'm pretty sure we've got a pair of Blackcaps visiting now which - though I'm not a bird watcher - has me quite excited. The female visited yesterday (noticed the red on the top of the head) and the male put in appearance today! Definitely an increase in activity the week! There's quite a community at the feeders (peanuts, seed, fat balls & robin feed) and there seems to be some sort of visiting regime
14/04/2013 at 17:20

I have a pair of Blackcaps who are regular visitors.  I was quite excited by their appearance - until I observed just how aggressive they can be, to the detriment of other little birds!  I suppose it's all part of "nature's rich tapestry" - but my human self rather wishes that they would all get along and live in harmony

14/04/2013 at 17:27

songthrushes here north manchester  watched one hammer a snail on  a rock  today 

1 to 20 of 21 messages