London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
12 messages
29/08/2012 at 11:47
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11276.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11277.jpg?width=350

Hi.  Attached are two photos of a hole made in my veggie patch.  What could it be?  I have seen one bee make a solitary hole near by, but it is tiny.  I know I have mice under the garden shed.  Could they have moved?  I have frogs.  Could it be a frog?  What else could it be?  I don't think it is ants as it's too big and hasn't left an ant hill.  Any ideas gratefully received.  I won't damage it, I'm just curious.  Thanks.

29/08/2012 at 12:17

Frogs can certainly make a sort of "cave" in soft soil when it's hot and dry. It would be about that size, but the ones I've seen have the soil heaped up a little.

29/08/2012 at 12:27

Hi Mandy

I would hazard a guess at a mouse.  I have various holes all over my garden, some right in the middle of the lawn!!, and I also have one in my veg patch right next to my veggies like you, looks like you're growing Kale or similar, which is the same veg I have a hole right next to.  Needless to say, the 4 kale plants nearest the hole I have have all been chomped down to a bare stalk lil tinkers !!!

29/08/2012 at 12:49

Moles also make holes about that size, but if it's moles, you'll certainly know about it.

If it's a mouse hole, then cats will know, by the smell, and show an interest in it.

Wasps collectively can excavate very large caverns, about the size of a foot ball, with small entrances like that. If it's wasps you'll see them flying in and out.

29/08/2012 at 13:03

Alina, Kezza and Gary - thank you for your ideas.  I can't believe it's a mole as I'd see holes everywhere.  I don't think (hope!) it's wasps as I've not seen any.  But I'm fascinated by the idea of a cave for frogs as the frog pond (tiny one) is right next to the veggie patch, and also by the idea of mice, because as you quite rightly say, Kezza, it is right next to the Kale like you.  It will be interesting to see what happens over time (especially to the Kale!). 

30/08/2012 at 12:08
I guess it would be a mouse, and I have seen such holes in my garden too.
My husband has bought me a night camera and we hope to set it up in the garden at the weekend so maybe I can tell you for sure.
30/08/2012 at 13:01

@passionate.. make sure you put some photos up.. would love to see what goes on after dark..

30/08/2012 at 15:57

Hi 'passionate' - I agree with 'gardeningfantic' I'd really love to see your photos.  If I see any changes or anything re my garden hole, I'll let you all know.  Fun isn't it?!

30/08/2012 at 18:40

looks like a mouse  hole although bumble bees do live little holes

30/08/2012 at 18:56

sure is..cross betwen sherlock holmes and guess who...

06/09/2012 at 20:46

looks exactly like the holes I had once... Rats...

14/09/2012 at 10:04

Natures drainage experts !

email image
12 messages