London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
41 to 44 of 44 messages
20/04/2014 at 14:23

I have tried various things for blanket weed (the green stuff that invades every pond) and have found the best way to keep it clear is simple - use a garden cane, put it into the centre of the blanket weed and twirl it around. You will get loads of weed out and it is actually quite satisfying. Our pond is sparkling clear and you can see right to the bottom of it.

Leave the weed at the side of the pond for a few days to let wildlife get back to the pond, then put it on the compost heap.

Be careful, I once bought out a hapless newt with my cane and had to delicately place him back in the pond - he got a shock, I think he was hibernating!

Lots of oxygenating plants help keep the green stuff down but blanket weed is unavoidable.

23/04/2014 at 14:01

Clari, I meant to say - I've got some of the barley straw essence and it's worked - thanks for your kind offer ((hugs))

And what a time waster a wildlife pond is  - I keep going out there and sitting and gazing at the water and all the insects it's attracting - the air is buzzing with insects - far more than there have ever been in that part of the garden - I'm spending hours out there!

23/04/2014 at 14:09

Glad it works Dove - it made a huge difference to our pond. You can see right to the fish poo covered bottom. I just hope our plants start growing soon to cover it up a little!

I stacked a lot of pebbles up on side of the pond this weekend so that wildlife can exit / enter the pond and there's a shallow enough area for birds to bathe. Hopefully we'll be able to get the timber ordered come pay day and that's the pond finished.

13/06/2014 at 20:37

Eventually cleared out the school pond today, it is in the shape of a foot bizarrely.  the 3 toe areas had v little life in them, and one didn't smell all that great.  they are probably 60cm across and about a metre deep.  Anything you reckon we can do with them to get them to be their own ecosystem.  The area is quite dark as lots of trees around? 

Found a few froglets in the larger pond though, yeah ! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49264.jpg?width=306&height=350&mode=max

I dragged out loads of leaves, and have left them for the weekend for wildlife to crawl back in. 

Should I be clearing out as much of the pond weed on the surface as possible, it was a solid covering at the start, so thought I should leave some on there. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49265.jpg?width=426&height=350&mode=max

Loved seeing this guy.

what to do with it now, that's the question...

email image
41 to 44 of 44 messages