Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Why so few insects this year?

I believe it was around this time last summer that I enjoyed watching a proliferation of bees, butterflies and moths (as well as the odd wasp) flitting from flower to flower in my back garden. This year so far all I have seen is a single wasp, and some midges. Can anyone please explain this absence, and has anyone else observed similar?

Ta

Gerry

• Northwest Greater London suburbs.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not a lot of honey bees and no blue butterflies but otherwise normal here

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100
    We live in Cornwall and have definitely noticed a big reduction in insects, despite growing lots of nectar rich plants. Butterflies are particuarly scarce. Not sure why but it is worrying.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I think the wet winter has had a lot to do with it, my buddleia's are in full flower and the lack of butterflies is marked although the bees seem to be enjoying my penstemons to the full.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I've just started seeing the second wave of butterflies over the last fortnight or so, bees, hover flies, small brown moths, same as last year and loads of those black flies that love flowers whatever they are.

Not seen any wasps since the spring though...

Wearside, England.
  • Interesting!. The contrast between last year and this is a little freaky (here) - like some post-apocalyptic scene. Flowers without bees and butterflies seem sad, and naked.

As Winniecat has experienced similar in Cornwall, I think I can safely dismiss the possibility of the urban "Smoke" being the root cause, although the thought did cross my mind. Anyway, smoke should calm the bees, not disperse them! image

Like Dave Morgan, I think the wet winter must have something to do with it.

Thanks.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Maybe, and you know it's been milder where I am in the North East than it has been for some years and perhaps that's helped them up here...

Wearside, England.
  • Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I have noticed the opposite in my garden, the whole place is buzzing with life.

• Whereabouts are you Mark?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've noticed the opposite too and commented to OH the other day how many more bees, butterflies etc there are, even dragonflies today.  Strange isn't it the difference in areas?