Start a new thread

21 to 27 of 27 replies

flowering rose

I have a small wild life pond  that I have a water butt running clean rain water off the roof to a lower water butt  that then by a hose pipe at the few inches from the top of the butt. We let the water fill the top butt and the overflow water goes down the pipe to the bottom butt and overflows into the pond keeping it clear (after years of fighting dirty pond syndrome)I still use the water from the butts to water the garden but any heavy rain re-fills and excess runs in to the pond . I have frogs ,newts, water boat men and other insects and no longer have to use chemicals.

LeadFarmer

FR, does the pond overflow in heavy rain or do you close the taps off on the water butts?

Talking of tiny ponds - this is mine, about 6ft by 3ft and 3ft deep in the centre.

It has a shelf all around each long side for plants, and I have 2 deep water plants right in the centre. The pebbles are for animals to get in and out safely.

The other day I had a water boat man and a pond skater swimming around enjoying the sun. There is at least one newt in there and last year I spotted a toad. It's a great magnet for butterflies and other insects and I just love sitting beside it and watching whats going on!

I have a pond with newts and lots of other wildlife I am just making  a waterfall and a stream to go into the pond. Is there a wildlife friendly pond pump out there, or has anyone got any ideas how to get around this problem.

Thankyou

Yviestevie

I know this is an old thread but still found it useful as I'm planning to start digging a pond after Easter. 

I had a pond at my old house which was suburban.  It was about 2ft 6in deep 8ft long and 5ft wide (couldn't go any deeper as we hit sandstone). We had a waterfall running into it and a fountain at one end to help aerate the water.  We had Koi and other fish in it and it was still full of wildlife.  Didn't use any special pumps.  Dragonflies, newts, frogs, toads, damsel flies and unfortunately herons loved the pond and we were very sad to leave it.  This house has a much smaller garden and I'm building the new pond following the Wildlife Trusts guide lines.  It will be about 2ft deep at the deepest, 3ft wide and 6ft long. Not planning to have any fish but it will have a pebble beach and pond plants that will allow wildlife to travel unseen to a large log pile and and a slightly overgrown section of the garden. It should get the sun for about 5-6 hours. a day.  Hubby is insisting we have the sound of running water so that will have to be incorporated.  Can't wait to get started and really looking forward to sitting by a pond again in the summer.

Like the idea of running rain water from the conservatory roof into the pond but it's too far from the house so I'm planning to install a second water butt.  It will mean carrying buckets of water up the garden to top the pond up but the exercise will be good for me.

Advertisement

If you shape your pond well it shouldn't actually need topping up. Difficult in a small pond though to get the edges sloping sufficiently gradually that the mud and silt actually remains on the liner rather than slipping off. That way when the water level falls in summer you get a gradually receding shoreline with an exposed muddy margin rather than an expanse of bare liner. Not necessarily pretty, but very natural looking and perfectly good for wildlife.

Yviestevie

Hope I don't have to Onopordum but it pays to be prepared and anyway the second water butt will be located by the greenhouse so it will be useful for that.