Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wildlife Pond plants.

Next week, I will be buying plants to put in my new wildlife pond. I was wondering what are peoples favourites and what are their 'must haves'. Bearing in mind my pond is only 1.5m by 2.5m and about 70 - 90cm deep.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

We began to plant our pond up about two weeks ago - at the moment Brooklime, Creeping Jenny  and Water Violet are doing very well, and we have several clumps of hornwort.

I want to get some Water Crowfoot, Flowering Rush, Pennyroyal and must get some Frogbit.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I had Water Hawthorn which was beautiful. Gorgeous scent on a warm evening.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

Thank you both. I'm going to have a look at those. I'm not sure whether I'm going to buy online or try and find a GC with a good selection, the one's near me don't. Buying online though means I need to be in for when they are delivered, so a bit of a pain. 

Exciting stuff though, just browsing through plants and great to hear what other people like.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Jack 3 where abouts in the country are you? I'm sure someone would give you plants for free if they are near you....water plants grow so quickly, I am forever giving away bits - I can never understand why they are so expensive.

Hi Daintiness. I'm just outside of South London in Kent. Was is you that suggested freegle? I still have to look into that, I tried joining freecycle before but I couldn't work it out for some reason.

Today I got some starter pond plants. I got....

Ivy leaved crowfoot.

Slender Reed Mace

Blue Mazus

Barred Horsetail

Golden Buttons

Fibre Optic Plant.

And some clumps of pond weed. They had some swan mussels and water snails, which I might have to get next year.

• I'd recommend Brooklime, water hawthorn, bog arum and bogbean.
  • shirlsgwshirlsgw Posts: 30

Sounds like you've made a good start image

I'm planting up my new pond at the moment too. I know deliveries can be a pain, but very impressed with my first online delivery from Puddleplants (http://www.puddleplants.co.uk/home.php ) and it looks like I'm going to be ordering more from them as can't get the natives/plants for wildlife I'd like in GC's up my way. I found looking through plant lists in the wildlife collections at Puddleplants (for frogs and tadpoles for eg) helped me a lot image

I don't have enough plants to list 'must haves' but I've been enjoying my Marsh Marigolds and would list them as a must have. I have small plants of Brooklime and Forget-me-not blue but have yet to see them flower. Water violet, Pennyroyal, Water Crowfoot & Fringe Lily are among my wishlist plants image

• early in season i like marsh marigold its then followed by lesser spearwort and  during summer purple loosestrife ,meadowsweet ,marsh mallow and flag iris  

Thanks for all these, I'm considering ordering from puddleplants actually after Dovefromabove's recommendation. I will look up everyone's suggestions. Little flowers started up on the golden buttons today. And I had another exciting find today but I'm going to put that on my pond thread. Thanks for all the feedback and I look forward to looking up people's favourites. Cheers.