With the warmer weather swiftly approaching, getting back out into the garden is at the forefront of most people’s minds.
Whether you’re looking to repair the damage after a long stormy winter or spruce up your outdoor space, Argos is your one-stop-shop for a wide range of specialist garden equipment, furniture, and decorations.
Unsure where to start? Below, we’ve got the best tips, tricks, and tools to tackle your garden and restore it to its summer glory.
A well-manicured lawn is every gardener’s’ pride and joy. Find the right tools to keep it immaculate with Argos’ range of lawncare products.
H4 Spear & Jackson 34cm Cordless Rotary Lawnmower - 24V
Cordless mowers make it easy to mow a lawn, and without a cord getting in the way you can always reach the bottom of the garden. This Spear & Jackson model has a helpful 34m cutting width, a generous 35L grass box capacity, and a fast one-hour charge for a 30-minute runtime.
Challenge 30cm Hand Push Cylinder Lawnmower
Push mowers are making a comeback. These traditional old-school mowers are a great way to exercise as they don’t need electricity or petrol to work - just give them a push. This also makes them a greener, cheaper, quieter alternative to other mowers. This model from Challenge has a 23L grass capacity, and a rear roller for achieving an attractive striped lawn.
McGregor 3-in-1 32cm Corded Grass Trimmer - 600W
Even the best mower can’t get into corners or up to the base of trees. A grass trimmer makes it easy to catch long tufty grass and weeds in awkward spots, and this model also turns 90°, so you can use it to quickly neaten up the edges of your lawn by pathways and flowerbeds too.
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Edging Shears
To give your lawn a truly personal finish, a pair of edging shears lets you take the time to precisely trim along the edges of a lawn. Like a push mower, it’s a great way to get moving in the garden while you prepare it for spring and summer entertaining.
How do I mow the lawn?
1.Rake over your lawn to remove debris like twigs and rocks that might damage your mower. You should also identify areas you might need to avoid, such as freshly sown grass.
2. Mow fortnightly in spring and once a week in summer for healthy, well-kept grass.
3. It can be tricky to judge but aim to reduce the height of your grass by about a third each time you mow to keep it strong and healthy. You can adjust the height of your mower by using a lever on the side or adjusting the axle underneath.
4. Turn on your mower and push it over the grass. Mow up and down in straight lines, slightly overlapping each time. If the grass is long or damp, walk slowly.
5. If you’re using a corded lawnmower, be careful to avoid the power cable.
6. Empty the grass collector regularly so don't drop clippings on to the lawn.
7. Tidy up edges along paths and flowerbeds with edging shears, for a uniform, manicured lawn.
8. If there are any bits of long grass your mower can’t reach - for example under trees or at the base of garden furniture - you can trim them with a grass trimmer.
9. Once you’re done, reuse the glass clippings in a compost bin for a fertile soil improver and mulch.
Cleaning outdoor spaces
Make cleaning a breeze by investing in a pressure washer to blast away dirt, grime, and grease from your patios, decks, the greenhouse and front drives.
Before you start, it’s crucial to work out what needs cleaning. Patios and driveways need at least a mid-range, mid-power pressure washer to power through mud, algae, and oil stains. Wood is a softer material than stone and can be damaged by pressure washers, so decks and sheds are best cleaned by a low-power pressure washer or one with adjustable pressure. Windows and cars also need low-pressure cleaning, to avoid damaging glass and paintwork.
H4 Challenge Pressure Washer - 1400W
The 1400W Challenge Pressure washer offers powerful pressure cleaning on a budget. For roughly half the average price of a pressure washer, this model can tackle a wide range of surfaces and situations. With its 3m hose and onboard storage for the nozzle, it’s just right for a little patio or deck.
H4 Spear & Jackson Pressure Washer - 2200W
For tougher jobs, break out this Spear & Jackson pressure washer. With a 300 litre per hour flow rate and 150 bar maximum pressure, this powerful bit of kit can tackle the toughest tasks. Thanks to five specialised nozzles, including two brushes and a patio cleaner, you’ll be ready for anything.
H4 Spear & Jackson Cordless Pressure Cleaner - 24V2
If storage or water supply is an issue, you might want a pressure cleaner. Pressure cleaners can draw water from any source, which means you can wash bikes, cars, windows or decking straight from a pond, bucket, or water butt, saving valuable storage space. This cordless Spear & Jackson model comes with a bucket and a specialised detergent foam nozzle, so it’s brilliant for cleaning greenhouses and cars.
How do I use a pressure washer?
1. Once you’re ready to clean, connect your pressure washer to your outdoor tap or standpipe using a hose.
2. Turn on the hose and the power.
3. To avoid damaging what you’re cleaning, try to slowly build up the pressure until you see that the dirt is being removed.
4.Brush any leftover water off slabs and decks so there’s no muck leftover. On windows and greenhouses, dry the panes to avoid streaks.
Keep everything tidy with storage solutions
Once you’re done with all of your great new kit you need somewhere to keep everything neat and tidy. Find storage to suit your needs with Argos’ range of garden storage.
Keter Store It Out Max 1200L Garden Storage - Beige/Green
This storage box has a big 1200L capacity with a small footprint, so you can store everything you need without taking up too much room. It has a bolt to lock it and can be fitted with a padlock for extra security. Thanks to an inbuilt ramp by the door, it’s easy to wheel mowers or pressure washers onto the patio or lawn, and it’s simple to open and close thanks to a piston in the lid.
Forest Wooden 6 x 4ft Overlap Windowless Apex Shed
A classic wooden shed, the Forest Wooden 6 x 4ft Overlap Windowless Apex Shed is a sturdy design made from sustainable, FSC timber. This fuss-free building is great for keeping tools and other kit secure and dry.
Habitat Henrietta Wooden 3 Seater Bench with Storage - White
For functional furniture, check out this three-seater bench. At first glance it’s an attractive white garden seat, but underneath is hidden storage, providing a place for tools, toys, and soft furnishings.
Pruning shrubs, trees, and hedges
Pruning keeps disease at bay, improves plants’ health and vitality, and can increase the productivity of fruits and flowers. However, the right technique varies depending on what you’re cutting back.
Here’s some rules of thumb:
1. Look up the best method and time of year to prune your given plant - what works for a rose will not be right for grapes or buddleja.
2. Make sure your secateurs or loppers are sharp, so you don’t crush a branch or stem.
3. Prune a couple of millimetres above a bud and angle the cut to prevent disease.
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Bypass Secateur
These sharp bypass secateurs will tackle a wide range of pruning jobs. They cut live branches up to 15mm thick, and their bright colour means they’ll always be easy to spot if you drop them into foliage.
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Lopper
For really tough, dead branches, try this Spear and Jackson lopper. The mechanism means you can ratchet up the force on stubborn branches and cut them quickly and cleanly. The handles are telescopic too, so you can reach high branches and get into awkward spots.
Spear & Jackson Retractable Pruning Saw
Some branches are too thick for secateurs or loppers to snip. A good pruning saw is great for tackling thick limbs and tough hedge branches. This model from Spear and Jackson is retractable, so you can safely store it in your pocket as you move from task to task and keep little hands away from the sharp blade.
How do I use a pruning saw?
A safe way to saw is with the triple cut method. This technique prevents the bark ripping, which will stop the branch from tearing as it drops and prevents disease in your tree or shrub.
1. Make a small cut ⅓ of the way into the underside of the branch, about two inches away from where you’ll make your main cut.
2. Next, cut further up the branch, this time all the way through.
3. Then make your final cut close to the trunk of the tree, removing what’s left of the branch.
4. Remember, always wear safety glasses and gloves.
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Telescopic Hedge Shears
or a good arm workout, give these shears a go. The blades are fully adjustable, and the lightweight handles are telescopic, so you can reach distant, fiddly parts of your hedge.
McGregor 45cm Cordless Hedge Trimmer - 18V
If you have a big bank of hedges to trim, a hedge trimmer massively cuts down on time. This McGregor product is cordless, so it’s a doddle to nip up and down your hedgerow and keep everything looking neat and tidy.
How do I trim hedges?
1. Stick bamboo canes in the top of your hedge and tie a length of taut string between them to make a straight line to guide your hedge trimmer or shears.
2. Using a stepladder, get up to the top of your hedge, and make long sweeping strokes to trim along the string to achieve a straight cut.
3. Do the same on the sides of your hedge.
Select stylish outdoor furniture
Soak up the summer sun by bringing the indoors outdoors with Argos’ stylish selection of outdoor furniture to suit every social occasion. From rattan patio sets to gazebos, hammocks and sun loungers, create the outdoor space you deserve to enjoy with friends and family this summer.
How do I choose garden furniture?
1. Measure your social space and work out how much room you have to work with.
2. Decide on how you’d like to use the space. If you’re throwing family parties, opt for big, multi-seater sofas and table sets. For smaller areas like terraces and balconies, a folding two-seat bistro set is great for intimate dinners. Remember to leave room for a barbecue too.
3. Consider your garden’s aesthetic. Contemporary gardens benefit from furniture in modern, waterproof, wipe-clean materials like poly rattan. More classic gardens are suited to traditional wooden furniture.
4. Make sure you’re getting good value for money. The best furniture sets will include extras like tables and parasols.
Habitat 5 Seater Rattan Effect Corner Sofa Set - Grey
For entertaining a crowd in comfort, check out this five-seater poly rattan corner sofa set from Habitat. It has an adjustable recliner built in, so you can put your feet up, and it’s also incredible value, as it includes a table with built-in storage and two garden stools.
Argos Home Cusco Rattan Effect 4 Seater Patio Set - Grey
We love this patio set, which not only includes four fantastic garden seats, but also a table for meals and a parasol to keep you cool and shaded. The natural, contemporary feel of the wicker effect brings sophistication to any social space without breaking the bank.
Argos Home Wooden 4 Seater Picnic Table - White
A picnic table is a classic design for summer lunches and means you can move social events off the patio or deck and down into the heart of your garden. This white table is made from sustainable FSC timber and has a hole for a parasol, so you can be shaded and eat in comfort.
Argos Home 3m x 3m Garden Gazebo - Cream
Even in the height of summer the weather can take a turn - a gazebo offers stylish protection from sudden showers as well as harsh sun, keeping you comfortable all day. With the addition of a few twinkling fairy lights, you can entertain long into the night too.
Argos Home Jaye Hanging Egg Chair – Grey
Hanging chairs are one of the standout trends of the past few years. They envelop you on all sides and twist gently in the breeze, making a perfect nook for curling up with a book and a drink after work.
Take your alfresco dining to the next level with Argos’ range of high-spec barbecues to notch up your weekends with friends
Argos Home Charcoal Oil Drum BBQ Cover & Utensils
No garden is complete without a good barbecue - it’s hard to beat the smoky flavour of good food cooked over a flame. This large charcoal barbecue has a generous 35x71cm cooking area and a handy warming rack, so you can heat up corn-on-the-cob as you grill burgers and bangers. Thanks to the wheels, it’s easy to move around the garden, and it comes with three utensils, so you can get grilling straightaway.
How do I light a charcoal barbecue?
1. Make sure your barbecue is in an open area away from trees.
2. Fill your barbecue drum with charcoal. Arrange it in a rough stack shape so the heat can travel upwards.
3. Stick newspaper or natural firelighters into the charcoal and light them. Let the flames die back and wait for the charcoal to catch.
4. When your charcoal is glowing white-hot, you’re ready to barbecue.
Home Deluxe 6 Burner BBQ Stainless Steel
Charcoal barbecues are great, and much as we love the flavour, their charcoal smoke can be antisocial, especially in smaller gardens. Instead, a gas barbecue offers a bigger cooking surface and smokeless grilling. This fantastic model has four high performance burners and the ample grilling areas can heat food quickly and evenly, giving you a good grilling experience. The side tables and trolley provide additional storage space, and the detachable oil trays and cups help to simplify cleaning.
How do I light a gas barbecue?
1. Make sure your barbecue is in an open area away from trees.
2. Depending on the brand of gas you use, connections can vary. Follow the instructions on your propane bottle to connect it to your barbecue.
3. Turn on the gas and give it a minute to circulate.
4. Ignite your barbecue.
Argos Home Foldable Firepit
A good fire always makes a fantastic focal point for social spaces, keeping everyone warm and providing the relaxing crackle of burning firewood. A fire pit is a great way to prolong an evening once the sun goes down and the temperature drops, and this model gives 360° heat, to ensure your guests are kept toasty. It also has a grill, so you can cook small snacks like kebabs, popcorn, chicken wings and marshmallows. Thanks to the foldable legs, it’s easy to store.
How do I light a fire pit?
1. Set up your pit on stonework away from fire hazards.
2. Fill the fire pit with a couple of inches of sand to protect the bottom.
3. Place your kindling inside and cover it with a pyramid of small logs.
4. Light your kindling. Once the fire gets going, slowly add bigger logs, taking care not to smother the flames.
Gardens are the perfect space for kids to safely play and explore. The right toys can offer hours of entertainment, and keep kids occupied at big family barbecues.
Lay-Z-Spa Bali 4 Person LED Hot Tub
Hot tubs are great for entertaining but plumbing in a top-line model can run to thousands of pounds. This model from Lay-Z-Spa offers luxury on a budget, with space for up to four people to enjoy balmy 40°C water and powerful massage jets. You can enjoy it long into the night thanks to its colour-changing LEDs, and because it’s inflatable, it's easy to store in winter too.
Chad Valley Outdoor Wooden Tension Tower Game
The whole family can get involved with this classic game of fine-tune motor skill. This giant-sized outdoor version raises the stakes for guaranteed fun, and kids can also use the blocks for other constructive play.
Chad Valley Twin Soccer Goal Set
Turn your back garden into Wembley with this set of two goals. There are few things better than a summer’s afternoon of football, and kids will be occupied for hours. An excellent bonus feature is that as kids age, the two mini goals can be combined into one bigger goal, for years of use.
Sportspower 10ft Outdoor Kids Trampoline with Enclosure
If you have a larger garden, a trampoline is always a hit with kids. This model offers a whopping ten feet of trampoline and has an enclosure and safety pads to ensure that kids stay safe.
Chad Valley Nature Explorer Kit
Budding Attenboroughs will love this Nature Explorer Kit. It features a bug catcher, a net, pots on a box to safely contain insects, and a magnifying glass, so they can get in close to the creepy crawlies that share your garden space.