- Botanical name: Alocasia amazonica 'Polly'
- Family: Araceae
- Plant Type: House plant, Evergreen
- Key features:
- Dramatic foliage
Alocasia ‘Polly’ is a dramatic looking house plant in the Alocasia (elephant ear) genus, native to tropical regions of south-east Asia. Also known as African mask plant, ‘Polly’ is a compact version of the species Alocasia amazonica, making it perfect for growing in pots and small spaces. It’s distinctive, glossy and jungly-looking leaves make it the most popular Alocasia to grow indoors.
Bear in mind that all plants in the Alocasia genus are toxic when ingested, so be mindful if you have children or pets.
How to grow Alocasia ‘Polly’
Grow Alocasia ‘Polly’ in bright light out of direct sunlight, in free draining peat-free compost. A minimum temperature of 16ºC is perfect, ideally in a humid location, such as a bathroom. If the room isn’t humid enough, you can increase humidity levels by standing the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and then add water until it rises to just below the bottom of the pot. Water regularly, ideally so the compost is just moist, and not too dry or waterlogged. Feed with liquid fertilizer once or twice a month in summer.
Advice on buying Alocasia ‘Polly’
This page contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission for purchases made. Please read our affiliates FAQ page to find out more.
- Alocasia ‘Polly’ needs bright light and a humid environment. Ensure you have the right growing requirements before buying
- You may find an Alocasia ‘Polly’ at your local garden centre but you’ll find more choice online
- Always check plants for signs of disease or damage before buying
Where to buy Alocasia ‘Polly’
How to grow Alocasia 'Polly'
- Plant care: Avoid strong sunlight, needs a humid spot/position
Alocasia 'Polly' and wildlife
Alocasia 'Polly' has no particular known value to wildlife in the UK.
Is Alocasia 'Polly' poisonous?
Alocasia 'Polly' is harmful if ingested.
Toxic to Birds
Toxic to Cats
Toxic to Dogs
Toxic to Horses
Toxic to Livestock
Toxic to People