In the formal gardens you’ll find a hornbeam cloister walk, wisteria-clad pergola, delphinium border, old roses and the world’s tallest box hedges. In summer, the terraces are a blaze of colour and offer views of the castle, river and suspension bridge. Beyond these is a natural landscape with a lake, rivers and waterfall.
Due to ongoing rule changes in response to the coronavirus pandemic, public gardens may experience unforeseen restrictions and opening hours. To avoid disappointment we advise you contact gardens directly before visiting. Please see the individual garden’s website. If you can’t find the information you require, please call the garden directly. You’ll find website links and telephone numbers on the individual garden pages in this online directory
Some gardens require you to pre-book your tickets before visiting the garden. If this applies to a garden you’re planning to visit, please ensure you take your 2-for-1 Card with you to validate your booking.
Using your 2-for-1 card at Birr Castle Demesne
- One free entry with one full-paying adult
- Card not valid on 25-26 Dec & 1 Jan, on event days or in unsafe weather – phone or see website for details
- Before setting off check the garden’s website or call direct, as opening details can vary and one-off restrictions may apply
- 2 for 1 tickets can only be purchased at the door from reception
- Ensure you take your 2-for-1 Card on arrival to validate your booking
Open all year, daily, 9am-6pm (4pm in winter)
Adults €10, seniors €8.50, children (5-16) €5. Booking may be required – see website