A great source of inspiration to Charles Darwin, this garden has been restored to look much as it did in his day. You can visit the greenhouse where he studied plant growth, explore his experimental beds in the kitchen garden, and walk in Darwin’s footsteps along his ‘thinking path’.
Due to ongoing rule changes in response to the coronavirus pandemic, public gardens may experience unforeseen restrictions and opening hours. To avoid disappointment we advise you contact gardens directly before visiting. Please see the individual garden’s website. If you can’t find the information you require, please call the garden directly. You’ll find website links and telephone numbers on the individual garden pages in this online directory
Some gardens require you to pre-book your tickets before visiting the garden. If this applies to a garden you’re planning to visit, please ensure you take your 2-for-1 Card with you to validate your booking.
Using your 2-for-1 card at Down House (Home of Charles Darwin)
- One free entry with one full-paying adult
- Single visitor discount: 25%
- Use discount code GARDENERS21
- Card valid for the whole property. Card not valid in school hols or on event days – phone or see website
- Before setting off check the garden’s website or call direct, as opening details can vary and one-off restrictions may apply
- Pre-booking is no longer essential, but is advisable to guarantee entry
- To book tickets online, select your date and time, enter the discount code above and purchase two 241 adult tickets. Please check card not valid dates above
- Ensure you take your 2-for-1 Card on arrival to validate your booking
Open 1 Apr-3 Nov, daily, 10am-5pm (4pm in Oct & Nov); rest of year Sat & Sun (plus additional dates – see website), 10am-4pm
Adults £17.30, seniors £15.60, children (5-15) £10.40 - prices vary seasonally, see website for details. Booking advisable – walk-up may also be available