- Botanical name: Acer palmatum 'Beni-otake'
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
Acer palmatum ‘Beni-otake’ is a medium-sized Japanese maple, with deep red-purple foliage from spring to summer, which becomes green with maturity. Autumn leaves turn a rich crimson. Acer palmatum ‘Beni-otake’ grows into a lovely rounded shape, and is more tolerant of sun than other acers.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.