Monthly Q&A – October 2022
Our experts answer a selection of your gardening questions, every month. Watch our expert's answers here, and come back next month to submit your question
As part of your Premium access, you can send your gardening questions to our horticultural experts each month. They will then answer a selection of the questions they receive, and share the advice at the end of the month.
Watch now, to discover the answers to the October questions, and see if yours is one of the questions that has been answered by BBC Gardeners' World Magazine's Associate Editor David Hurrion. You'll also find answers to a host of other gardening problems, below.
You'll get another chance to ask a question next month. In the first email newsletter of each month, we'll remind you to submit your questions. Please note, you will not receive an individual response.
Our expert's answers to your October questions:
- How can I get my peat free compost to retain water?
- My raspberries got muddled when planting. Can I prune without knowing if they’re summer or autumn-fruiting?
- Should I remove the large figs on my tree, as they have reached the correct size but aren’t ripening?
- What can I do to get rid of fuchsia gall mite?
- I bought some 9cm potted perennials in an autumn sale. Should I pot them on and let them establish in pots until spring or should I put them straight into the borders?
Our expert's answers to your September questions:
Watch the answers to the September questions, which were:
- How can I reuse old compost?
- Should I put pot feet or saucers under my containers?
- My lawn looks terrible after summer, and crows are pecking it. What can I do?
- My wisteria has died, but is shooting from the base. Will those new shoots flower?
- My plum tree has brown rot. What should I do?
Our expert's answers to your August questions:
Watch the answers to the August questions, which were:
- What is the best way to revive badly dehydrated potted hydrangeas?
- I often read about adding ‘loam’ to compost, but what is ‘loam’?
- My roses are covered in black spot. I don't want to spray them. Are there any other methods to control it?
- Why have my runner beans failed?
- Lots of my brassicas have grown with no centre – cauliflowers with no curds, cabbages with no heart, calabrese with no heads. What is the cause?
Our expert's answers to your July questions:
Watch the answers to the July questions, which were:
- How often should I water my dahlias and sweet peas?
- Lots of my plants have powdery mildew. What should I do about it?
- My pinks have grown very leggy. When is a good time to take cuttings?
- Why are my vegetable plants all leaves and no fruit?
- My summer-fruiting raspberries have several very long, non-fruiting stems. Are they for next year’s harvest or do they need cutting back?