Meet Alan Titchmarsh at Highclere Castle
Join us for a special day with Alan Titchmarsh at Highclere Castle - the real 'Downton Abbey' near Newbury, home to the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon.
Book online via See Tickets, selecting either subscriber ticket or non-subscriber ticket. To discuss further details or to book by phone, please call 0871 220 0260 and quote code: Highclere.
Thursday 3 October, 2019
Tickets £145pp (subscriber price)
£155pp (reader price)
- Sorry, this event has sold out
The day will begin with coffee on arrival and a welcome from the BBC Gardeners' World Magazine team. The Countess of Carnarvon will introduce the story of her family home, before Alan gives us an entertaining talk on his gardening life and times, and reveal his connection to Highclere Castle gardens. There will plenty of time to put your questions to Alan in our Q&A session, and have your photo taken with him before exploring the location.
The Castle’s State Rooms, bedrooms and vistas are famous the world over as the ‘real’ Downton Abbey, fictitious home of the Earl of Grantham (played by Hugh Bonneville) in the ITV drama. Experience it for yourself in our special guided tour of the State Rooms, before enjoying a light lunch with the group.
In the afternoon explore the fascinating Egyptian Exhibition in the Castle cellars, telling the story of the Tomb of Tutankhamun – which was discovered in 1922 by the 5th Earl of Carnavon and archaeologist Howard Carter.
Highclere Castle is considered one of the finest Victorian buildings and was designed by Sir Charles Barry, who was responsible for rebuilding the Houses of Parliament in London. It is set in a spectacular 1,000-acre park that was designed by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, and gardens, borders and arboretum – named the Wood of Goodwill – are very much the ongoing work of Lord and Lady Carnarvon and their gardening team today. They have resurrected walks, areas of interest and follies that had faded during the Second World War.
Lady Carnarvon is fond of quoting Cicero who believed that: “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need”.
Lord and Lady Carnarvon at Highclere Castle
Lavender border at Highclere Castle gardens
Lady Carnarvon in Highclere Castle gardens
Your day includes:
- Full day’s entry to Highclere Castle, including free parking
- Talk and Q&A from Alan Titchmarsh, with a welcome from Lady Carnarvon and the GW Magazine team
- Tour of the Castle and the Egyptian Exhibition
- Light lunch which will be served in the Tea Rooms
- Stroll around the gardens and grounds
- Free goody bag with our compliments
- 10am Refreshments on arrival at Highclere Castle
- 10.30 Welcome from Lady Carnarvon, followed by a talk and Q&A from Alan Titchmarsh
- 11.45 Guided tour of Highclere Castle State Rooms
- 12.45 Guided tour of the Egyptian Exhibition
- 1.15 Light lunch
- 2.30 Stroll of the gardens and grounds, where Head Gardener, Paul, will answer any questions
- 4.00 Grounds close
Highclere Castle dining room
Highclere Castle dining room
Highclere Castle library
Terms and conditions:
In the case of unforeseen circumstances experts may be substituted. Calls charged at 13p/min plus network access charge.